Tuesday, October 20, 2009

red pile

Finished this today just in time to talk about it with James in an advisor meeting. We like it. I'm going to do more, but better ones. A few weeks ago I masked out and drew in the pattern on a small blue shirt... it was a good idea but a subtle forgery isn't as interesting as an overt lie. I bought a sweater today and am going to try to deconstruct it. A friend of mine named Sydney Russell (who went to Wesleyan and also currently goes to CCA!) does similar deconstructions but with different materials and for different reasons. It's a little bit scary to have someone so proximate to my practice doing a similar thing but I hope that it keeps me smart and articulate and am excited to be pushing further out of the exclusivity of drawings. Don't get me wrong-- drawing is great, but it seems important to be good at more than one thing.

2 comments:

CassieMarie said...

Mara,
Deconstructing sweaters is amazingly fun, I learned from this tutorial:
http://www.neauveau.com/recycledyarn.html
Hope that helps! If you want to see what i've been working on, check out my stuff here: http://cassiemarieedwards.blogspot.com/search/label/Sweater%20Project
It is a LOOONG term project that is just in the baby stages, but fun nonetheless. :)

Adina said...

I love love this drawing, Mara!