Monday, October 5, 2009

fold, furl, wallow, welter.

I took the time today in order to figure out a good title for the quilted piece I put in the Murphy Cadogan show. I'd been procrastinating because it seemed like whatever I named it would inevitably create some sort of tired menstrual metaphor (think 'cycle' or 'rotation'). So I had a hot date with a dictionary and a thesaurus and came up with the following: 'Fold, furl, wallow, welter.' Check out their awesome definitions, extracted from Merriam Webster:

fold: to lay one part over another part of, to reduce the length or bulk of by doubling over, to clasp together, to entwine, to bend, to concede defeat by withdrawing, to bring to an end

furl: to wrap or roll close to or around something

wallow: to roll oneself about in a lazy, relaxed, or ungainly manner, to billow forth, to devote oneself entirely, to take unrestrained pleasure, to become abundantly supplied, to indulge oneself immoderately, to become or remain helpless

welter: to rise and fall or toss about in or with waves, to become deeply sunk, soaked, or involved, to be in turmoil

Mostly I just like how these four words sound. But I also like how they allude to the laundering cycle of clean/not clean and an emotional cycle of order and chaos... and then of course all the grayness/greyness that occurs on the way from one to the other.

No comments: