Tuesday, January 5, 2010

umbilical

As I've continued working on this rag rug (a process greatly expedited since my discovery that I could use my sewing machine to put it together) the middle section which I had done by hand has started to pop out like a pregnant womans bellybutton. I kind-of like it but also am pretty weirded out about it with the persistent thought that it's not supposed to be that way. I've resolved to leave it alone for now and decide later on-- I'm fairly certain there will be a way to repair it by hand if I decide I dont like it(???). This mistake, however, also opens up the rug to the possibility of having the coil reattach to itself, similar to how I treated the quilt project I made last summer. This rug, efterall, is made from the leftover scraps of that quilt, so it seems plausible that I could finish it with a similar treatment. The question now is what to do with the scraps from this project. I've been thinking about making a nappy birdsnest out of them-- they're practically there already anyways.

No comments: