Wednesday, January 6, 2010

mapping out my inheritance

Finished this drawing today-- it took almost two and a half full studio days to make it! I found it ridiculously difficult to render these very little drawing-- I had carelessly thought that because they were small drawings they would take less time. I have never been so wrong. Click on the picture to see in greater detail.

Anyways, this is a drawing of every single thing on the walls of my grandparent's house in Indianapolis. Many of the things are in couplets-- there is an odd and consistent symmetry to the interior decor of that home. These framed images are, in their most literal form, destined to be part of my object inheritance. But their images have already been passed down to me in the form of my understanding of my connection to American historical images and the torrent of antiquities siphoned through thrift stores daily.

No comments: