Monday, January 18, 2010

maybe/maybe not

I spent a few hours repairing the weird bulge that was occuring on this rag rug. Now it's flat and I'm trying to figure out how to levitate it three feet off the ground. Or maybe not. I found myself talking to Kate Moore at opening last week about how I'm finding installtions of sculptural pieces really difficult to figure out. When I'm making a drawing it has implied edges (that of the paper) and I have an idea in my head about what it will look like when it is finished. When making something that will actually exist sculptually in the world, on the floor, taking up space, as an object and in relation to the human form it gets difficult to really figure out what a piece means-- it seems like it can be manipulated and recontextualized in any number of ways and this multitude of possibilities feels overwhelming.

No comments: