Tuesday, April 19, 2011

dad

In therapy I was asked for brief overviews of my experience growing up and I found it interesting because I immediately started out by talking about my parents' experiences growing up. I think in general when I'm explaining something it's natural for me to start from an outlying causal halo and to hone inwards rather than explaining it from inside-out.

I like this photograph because all it says on the back is "dad" even though the picture was clearly taken long before this boy would embark upon fatherhood. It's an interesting dilemma of how to explain history, backwards or forwards. Is this kid more son or more father? I suppose that's the magic of unlabeled photographs-- it's easier to understand the people standing in them as autonomous and anyone.

No comments: