Friday, March 27, 2009

ask for help

Oh gosh! I keep forgetting to report this-- I finally finished A Field Guide to Getting Lost by Rebecca Solnit, which took me 2 1/2 months to finish. This is remarkable because the book is only a 150 page paperback. I got lost somewhere in the middle when school started, which seemed like an appropriate transformation for a book by this title, but actually was the result of some wordy and ambiguous text that I wasn't finding myself particularly moved by. And then classes and work started up again. But I got pulled back in the end-- with a story about a blind man who walked the streets selling chocolates, stopping at every street corner to yell out "Help! Help!" until someone would help him cross the road. I'm abbreviating a story which went on for pages and pages, so perhaps the life metaphor is missing from my description, which is essentially "keep going and ask for help."

No comments: