Saturday, February 27, 2010

foraged/forged/forgeries

I'm very close to being finished with this piece. The picture doesn't do a very good job of explaining what it is.... although I'm not yet totally sure what it is besides being a piece of art, like everything I make. Well anyways, I took a panel and mounted drawing paper on it. Then I took wallpaper and cut two rectangles out of it reminiscent of the paired frames hung in my grandmothers home. After applying the wallpaper onto the panel I drew in the missing pattern. The result is a mixture of things-- in one way the drawn parts seem like a failed forgery because of the inaccuracy of the hand-drawn line versus that of machine manufacture. But on the other hand the drawn parts are more vibrant and the inaccuracies make the small floral print begin to return to the inconsistency of their natural source. The implication two framed objects used to hang where those rectangles are suggests a process of reveal that may draw conclusions that those rectangles are the raw format of the wallpaper and that the lighter/daintier print around them is faded (which of course is totally counter to reality).

No comments: