Friday, November 6, 2009

baby mountain

I drew a mountain of babies in my sketchbook during class on Wednesday and today I worked on making it for real. I've been thinking about ways to start using the images of the people from my photograph collection and it seemed to me that making landscapes with their forms would be an interesting way to talk about the phenomenology of photographs and how the bodies portrayed in them sit in that gray/grey space between being an object and being a body. I spoke to new advisor Abner Nolan about it a little bit yesterday who suggested that if I made such a thing it would have to be colossal in size in order to be impressive. I'm shooting for a mountain about 5 feet off the floor-- I'm about 1/3 of the way there.

1 comment:

Adina said...

Reminds me of this: http://www.artinthepicture.com/paintings/Leon_Frederic/The-Source-of-Life/

(Can you believe that isn't contemporary art?)

(Let's talk soon...after final crits...)