Thursday, November 6, 2008

Gray and Grey, we assess

The blog has been going on for two months now, and it's time to assess what's going on with me and my art and my writing and all of the intersections between these three things. Tomorrow I'm off to Los Angeles for 36 hours of teenage ridiculousness with my Dialogues and Practices class and will be out of the studio for two whole days, which is sure to feel shocking for us all.

So what are my feelings on gray and grey? I spoke to Linda and Allison today in my studio about my work and I really liked something Linda said. I've been trying to figure out what the hell it means to be drawing objects to make drawings that are not about objects. Linda reminded me that abstract work doesn't mean that you have to draw wildly like Pollock, de Kooning and all of their peers and contemporaries. In fact, I'm not even sure if I CAN draw like that. My drawings are abstract because they're not of a real space-- objects are drawn on white paper and are often exagerrated out of the context of what they actually are, by size, shape or quantity.


So I'm working in this in-between space and it feels really good-- the endless spectrum of grays/greys that I wrote about in my very first posting back in September. I love it because everything I make winds up being connected by the fact that they are not particularly one thing or another. I like that they can't get pinned. The grayness is like so many other things too-- like the fog in San Francisco (says Claire), like queerness, like being uprooted and 24, like the emotional and physical push-and-pull of being in school and needing to make money, like the constant state of being stuck between your history and your future. It's been a good week for me and I'm excited to get back from LA and keep on keeping on.

No comments: