Friday, September 17, 2010

don't chase them (waterfalls)

There's a certain kind of hopeless hopfulness (or hopeful hopelessness?) that comes with finishing an MFA and trying to figure out what to do with it. It has been strange. It is wonderful to have so little structure above me but difficult to not have much underneath-- I've been trying to figure out how to cut some wood panels for the past week and the options are limited-- pay $1 a cut at the hardware store around the corner (which racks up fast when you're cutting small panels) or try to get a current CCA student to cut my wood for me in the school's woodshop. There's also just a general lack of information flow-- I keep hearing about missed opportunities a minute too late!

I like these small pictures of colossal waterfalls-- the actual photographs easily fit in the palm of my hand. When the conflict between actual size and representation is mediated it opens up some truly spectacular cosmic deviations. I usually draw objects exactly the size that they are, but I think it's interesting when other artists play with their representation of scale, making big things small and small things big.

No comments: